Thursday, March 12, 2009

Recap: Shelby 427 and Kobalt tools 500

Well here I am again apologizing for missing a week. It's tough being in college and bogged down with all kinds of other priorities. Regardless, I was still at least able to watch the races.
The Shelby 427 let us know a few things about this season heading forward. Matt Kenseth is not immune to failure, he finished 43rd after losing an engine on lap 7. So that blew my predictions right there. However, Jeff Burton, who I had second, did finish 3rd behind a dark-horse pick of Clint Bowyer. Kyle Busch, though, was back at the top, and was able to incite the fire that lead him to so many victories last season. This was the first "standard" track of the year; yes, technically Autoclub speedway is "intermediate" but I don't like to consider the 2 mile tracks as intermidiate, they are all very different than the mile-and-a-half tracks.
I want to point out one thing. There were a lot of naysayers at the beginning of the season calling that Clint Bowyer will not make the chase. No, he hasn't won yet, but I think getting a crew chief other than Gil Martin was the best thing to happen to his career thus far. Las Vegas helped prove that. Martin probably would've called Bowyer in, he was never much of a gambler. However, Shane Wilson, #33 Crew Chief, did gamble and was able to keep Bowyer in second.

As far as Atlanta, I think there is more to come from the 33 Cheerios/Hamburger Helper team. I didn't get predictions posted, but I had some preliminary ones on paper, and Atlanta was more kind to them. RCR is back, Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer and Jeff Burton all had decent days at Atlanta. The exception would be the #07 Jack Daniel's team. If Casey Mears doesn't start producing, even top 10s I don't know how long he'll be in that team. Honestly, the first change I'd make would be putting Gil Martin back to the Nationwide series with the 29 Holiday Inn Monte Carlo and bringing up Dan Deeringhoff to coach the Jack Daniel's bunch.
It was a pretty interesting race, I don't understand why people don't believe Atlanta deserves two dates, I think they are entitled to both of them. That being said, I think it's time to give out the first "What in the world?" award of 2009 (I just made it an award instead of a feature): First recipient of the season, JIMMY WATTS. Although his name wasn't familiar before the race, the Gas-man for Marcos Ambrose's 47 Camry became a household name instantly. During the first round of green-flag pit-stops, a tire had gotten away from the crew. It didn't just get a little bit away, it was already a penalty for equipment leaving the box, that's not the award winning part. Mr. Watts, lacking judgement, decided to go after it, and when he couldn't catch it, he kept going and going, all the way to the infield while the cars were running at race-speed. NASCAR, with the safety of Mr. Watts being prime, threw the caution flag, thus trapping a majority of the cars off the lead lap. He was punished by NASCAR, suspended for the rest of the event and, announced Tuesday he will also be suspended until April 22nd. I don't know if he's the first Gasman to achieve suspension, but either way, Jimmy Watts, you are the "What in the World?" award winner for the 2009 Kobalt Tools 500!
However, honorable mention goes to Kurt Busch, who "after a few too many Miller Lites", along with some buddies, decided to do his victory lap in reverse. It appeared he would do the Polish victory lap, but instead put it in reverse and slowly drove around the track. I, for one, liked the inventive celebration, good job Kurt Busch.
Everyone enjoy the off-week (what an ironic statement) and be sure to come back next week as I'm going to revamp my championship predictions a little bit, now that we've been able to see who falls where after a few races.
Thanks for reading -
DT