Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I fear I may be developing angry blogger syndrome

I'd like to first off address the biggest issue regarding Phoneix, not cheating or scandal, but being cheated. I encourage all of my readers, however many you are, to reach out and be vocal at ABC, the corporates, not your local station. In case your wondering what I'm talking about ABC's programmers decided that the washed up "America's Funniest Home Videos" was more important than the next to last race of the NASCAR season. A race that, given the outcome [Jimmie Johnson winning] could've easily seen a feat wrapped up that has only be achieved once before in the history of our sport. Johnson was 21 points away from locking the title down where no one would've been able to catch him at Homestead as long as he started the race and faced no penalties. Instead the last 38 laps or so were moved to ESPN2 in Eastern and Central time zones. I, fortunately, do have cable although it is poor quality and not the luxurious HD signal I get over the air, so I am thankful for that. But, ABC needs to realize that a good concentration of NASCAR fans are in the eastern time zone and I'd venture to say MOST NASCAR fans are within Central time and Eastern time. There was absolutely no excuse to their decision. I feel sorry for the drivers as well, as I'm sure many of them felt robbed of what should've been their time in front of America as opposed to some guy who got hit in the groin by a rake.

This is what I sent to ABC: "Hey, what the heck was the big idea interrupting the Phoenix NASCAR race for AFV? Does anyone still watch that show? I don't know who in your programming department made that call or what they have against NASCAR, but that was poor judgment! What are AFV's avg. shares anyway? I bet if that was an NFL playoff game or MLB playoff AFV would've been pushed back or never aired. If you guys can't treat your NASCAR contract right, give it up! You've made many angry!"

Please note a review of the race will be up later today or tomorrow as well as a preview of the final race.